In 1 Corinthians chapter 13, Paul points out that people of the Corinthian church are using their spiritual gifts and talents unlovingly and to draw attention to themselves: “If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal” (v1).
1. What are your reasons for attending church?
How successful has the church been in reflecting God’s love to you or to others?
Has this influenced how you feel about attending church?
2. Have you ever felt that others exercising their gifts has inhibited you from offering or using yours?
3. Is there anything you wish you could offer to the people of church, or perhaps to other people outside church? How could the church help you do this?
4. How do you feel about the suggestion that love should be a decision or a choice rather than a feeling? Is this possible, even when some people can be ‘difficult’?
5. Can you describe the struggle to love someone who is difficult to love (mentioning no names!)? Discuss what might help in this struggle.
🙏 Please pray for God’s help in expressing his love to others, and pray for those (individuals or groups) who need to feel God’s love expressed through the church. ⛪