St Timothy’s and COVID-19Click here for Update 2
21 March 2020
“Be strong andf take heart, all you who hope in the Lord.” Psalm 31.24
This has been a very strange week. Every day there has been more news about the COVID 19 virus, and the consequences for every aspect of our society. I am writing today to provide an update on what it will mean for us at St Timothy’s.
We have received very clear instructions from the Church of England, and the Diocese of Sheffield. We must
Pause normal meetings for worship until further notice in line with Government Advice as a measure to help protect the most vulnerable.
- Consider keeping the church open as a place for prayer and contact, with appropriate signage to remind people of the need to keep at least 2 metres apart.
- Explore other means of sharing ministry including live streaming.
The detailed guidance notes can be found here
So starting tomorrow, March 22nd, there will be no public worship services at St Timothy’s.
Instead we plan to hold an 11am service in Church, which will be live streamed on Facebook.
We’ve had lots of discussion about how best to do this. At the moment Facebook seems the best option – it’s easy and free to use, and we already have a St Timothy’s facebook page. You can find the words of the service and the songs we will be using here. We hope as many of you as possible will join in at 11am. We will be the church scattered, rather than the church gathered. But we are still the church, able to praise, worship, listen and pray together.
If you don’t have access to Facebook – or have a mobile phone but don’t know how to get access – please get in touch and we will try to help. (Or you could listen to the BBC broadcast a service inluceing the Archbishop of Canterbury at 8am on Local Radio.)
Then from Monday onwards
– We aim to have the Church open from 930 -12 each weekday morning for private prayer. Please wash your hands on arrival, and keep a safe distance from anyone else.
– If the broadcast stream tomorrow works, we aim to follow this up with live Facebook broadcasts of Morning and Evening Prayer, at 9am and 6pm from Monday to Thursday each week. We will also broadcast our midweek holy communion service, which is held at 12 noon on Wednesday.
I will send out the words and readings for these services tomorrow.
– We are starting to think about how we can care for each other during the weeks and months ahead. If you know of anyone who is ill, or in need of food or assistance, or who would appreciate a visit, do contact me. Please especially let me know of anyone who shows symptoms and is self-isolating, or who is admitted to hospital, so that we can pray for you.
Finally, if you know of anyone who belongs to the wider St Tim’s family and would like to be kept informed, but who isn’t on our church email list (or who doesn’t have email) can you let me know please.
There will be no 9:30 service or 6:30 evening service tomorrow. We may be able to do something in the evening in future weeks, but tomorrow we invite you to join in a wider Church of England initiative. At 7pm you are invited to light a candle and place it in a window — as a sign of trust in
Jesus, the Light of the World, who shines in the darkness. You may also like to use this prayer, which has been specially written for the occasion:
Come, O Spirit of God,
and make within us your dwelling place and home.
May our darkness be dispelled by your light,
and our troubles calmed by your peace;
may all evil be redeemed by your love,
all pain transformed through the suffering of Christ,
and all dying glorified in his risen life. Amen.
with love in Christ,
Tel 0114 266 7617 and 07305 859278
St Timothy’s Vicarage
152 Slinn Street
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update 1
17 March 2020 20:00
Dear St Tim’s member
We have been monitoring developments closely and are following the latest advice from Public Health England and the Church of England. Below are the latest arrangements we’ve put in place. Please bear in mind things are changing all the time, so this is a snapshot of where we are now.
Services, events and groups
Following the latest advice from the government and the Archbishops of Cantubury and York, all scheduled services, events and groups at St Timothy’s are suspended until further notice.
- Sunday services
- Wednesday Lunch Club, contact Hannah Saunders
- Tuesday Social Club, contact James Saunders
- All children’s and youth activities, including Sundays. Follow on Facebook @StTimsKidsCrookes and @StTimsYouthCrookes for more info or contact Alex Townsend
- Young Adults, contact Peter Wigglesworth
- Choir practice, contact Ellen Makin
- Friday Cafe
- The Miracle Play
If you are in a home group, please contact your leaders for information.
This obviously has massive implications for what church will look like over the coming weeks and months. We are investigating how we can remain connected as a church family and worship and pray together, even if we are unable to be together physically.
We will keep you updated as and when arrangements are made.
Please follow government advice and stay at home if you or anyone in your household has:
- a high temperature and/or
- a new, persistent cough
If you or someone you know from St Timothy’s has been diagnosed with COVID-19 and/or admitted to hospital please contact Malcolm.
Pastoral care is a top priority. We’re asking every church member to consider who they can naturally keep in touch with. If you don’t have someone who would naturally keep in touch with you should you be self-isolating, please let Malcolm or Siobhan know. This can include you needing help with shopping etc. A phone call, a message or collecting shopping are all ways we can keep in touch, even when we can’t touch!
St Tim’s is working with Voluntary Action Sheffield (VAS), Public Health Sheffield and Sheffield Council to help make sure everyone gets the help they need. Please contact Siobhan if:
- You are assisting a vulnerable adult who is self isolating
- You want to volunteer to phone someone, help with shopping or similar
Everyone can play a part, it is useful if you have a DBS check, but not essential.
Communication to you from St Tim’s
We intend to keep in close contact with church members as this situation develops. We’re numbering and dating these updates so you will know if you’ve missed one!
To do this we will:
- Post updates on Facebook (@StTimsCrookes) and the St Tim’s website www.sttims.org.uk.
- Email people on the church mailing list. You can sign up here http://eepurl.com/gR-B-X
However, if you are aware of someone who is not connected to the internet or housebound, please could you print them a copy of each communication as it comes out.
Revd Malcolm Lambert, Priest-in-Charge: email@example.com 07305 859278
Siobhan Melville, Administrator: firstname.lastname@example.org 07923 375426
Jack Hiscock, Churchwarden: email@example.com 07729 354023
James Saunders, Churchwarden: firstname.lastname@example.org 07773 517025, 0114 3275041
If you are concerned about your health call 111 or visit
Link to gain access to all the advice we are following as a church: